If you truly want to go above and beyond for your clients, you need top talent. For home services companies, that can include recruiting the highest quality electrical engineers.
But recruiting is a tough job. It’s not easy to find the best and the brightest. Working with an electrician recruitment agency can make a big difference.
Of course, picking the right recruitment agency can feel as daunting as hiring the right electricians. But we’re here to help.
In this article, we’ll break down the process of choosing and working with an electrician recruiting agency. We’ll cover the key benefits of working with an agency. Plus, we’ll give you our recommendation for 4 of the best nationwide agencies in 2022.
What a Recruiting Agency Does
Recruiting agencies take care of all the initial steps in the hiring process. That includes:
- Finding top candidates
- Vetting those candidates
- Handing off a list of the best-qualified candidates to you
In other words, recruiting agencies do all the legwork on the front end.
You’ll still be a part of the hiring process. But you’ll only need to carve out time to interview the best of the best. By the time a candidate makes it to you, you won’t have to worry about core qualifications. Instead, you can focus on finding the right cultural fit for your team.
Recruitment agencies speed up the entire hiring process by working in lock-step with you, taking care of the labor-intensive steps.
The Benefits of Working With a Recruitment Agency
You need skilled personnel, especially when it comes to specialized roles like electricians. You can’t afford to hire someone who’s underqualified.
But if you’ve ever done hiring entirely on your own, you already know what a huge task it is. There are often hundreds of resumes to review. And you’ll want to do your homework on top candidates, verifying their qualifications and references.
Or you can just partner with an agency.
As we said above, you’ll still need to be engaged in the hiring process. But the lion’s share of the work will fall on the agency instead of you. They will shift through those hundreds of resumes.
You can devote your time to the top candidates.
It’s worth noting, however, that you need to work with an agency you trust. While they won’t make final hiring decisions for you, they’re the filter all your candidates will pass through.
You want to make sure they understand what you’re looking for. Additionally, you want to ensure that their search is thorough. Plus, they need to be responsive throughout the process.
After all, a recruiting agency is like an extension of your team. You should feel comfortable trusting them to help make hiring decisions.
As you explore the benefits of working with a recruiting agency, you may want to consider your options. Sure, you can hire someone new full-time.
But there are other flexible options that might be a better fit for your business.
Direct placement refers to the process of hiring someone permanently.
Permanent employees are great if you have the workload to warrant the expense. Because they’re a part of your team, you’ll have the assurance that they understand your values and your customer base.
But the expense is considerable.
In addition to wages, you’ll need to take into account benefits, holiday pay, and unemployment.
Temporary placement means the staff member isn’t a permanent employee. Instead, the employment arrangement is most likely limited to a specific project.
Temporary employees allow for limited liability exposure, lower overall costs, and greater scalability. If you’re considering a large project but don’t have the permanent staff to cover all your bases, temporary placement can be a huge help.
However, temp employees may not mesh as well with your permanent team and don’t always prioritize customer service as much as would be ideal.
Contract to Hire
Contract to hire refers to the process of hiring someone on a temporary, contract basis first. If both parties are happy with the arrangement, the employee can be brought on full-time.
Contract to hire is a nice compromise between direct placement and temporary placement. It gives you the chance to see an employee in action before committing to anything long-lasting.
Plus, the employee is incentivized to bring their A-game. After all, they likely want a permanent position.
The Top Nationwide Electrician Recruitment Agencies in 2022
The best recruitment agencies provide a seamless, comfortable experience for candidates and clients.
Your candidates should feel like the agency represents you well. The process should feel natural and efficient for them. Similarly, you and your staff should enjoy partnering with your agency.
If either party finds the agency hard to work with, it could derail the entire hiring process.
As a rule, you should avoid working with agencies that have a poor reputation with candidates or businesses.
The following 4 agencies are nationwide and have strong reputations.
1. Industrial Trade Services
Industrial Trade Services focuses on recruiting skilled craftsmen. Their specialties cover a variety of industries, including electricians. They’re a natural fit for home services providers, especially if you have several other roles to fill.
- A reputation for and commitment to excellence
- A strict vetting process to ensure candidates are well-qualified
- A focus on speed as well as quality, so the hiring process moves fast
2. Elite Force Staffing
Like ITS, Elite Force is also focused on multiple industries. They aim to be a cost-effective partner for their clients. They also provide options of temporary labor (or what they call “leased skilled labor”), which can minimize your worker’s comp exposure.
- A focus on scalability, including options for temporary skilled labor
- Benefits packages for temporary labor to attract top talent
- Assurance that you’ll be happy with their candidates, including the option to request a replacement in the first 8 hours of work
3. Premier Electrical Staffing
Unlike our first two picks, Premier focuses on just one industry. They do electrical staffing and nothing else. Because they work exclusively within the electrical industry, you’ll have the assurance that they understand every facet of your need. They can even help you scope out your ideal staff for specific projects.
- Dedicated services for electricians and electrical engineers
- Master and Journeyman electricians on staff
- Staff are given written and practical tests to ensure qualifications
4. Tekk Force
Tekk Force is based in Texas but provides recruiting services all over the country. They can help with staffing across multiple areas of expertise. They pride themselves on a strong commitment to safety and ongoing training.
- They can help with direct placement, temporary placement, and contract to hire
- They can fill some positions as quickly as next-day
The Right Recruiting Agency for You
An electrical recruiting agency can be a valuable partner. They have the potential to help with one-off projects or with the considerable task of building out your permanent team.
When considering a recruitment agency, we recommend that you think through the following with your whole team:
- Who on your team will be the primary point of contact for the agency? It’s best to pick one person. And if you’re the business owner, we recommend that you delegate this task if at all possible.
- What kind of staffing will best meet your needs? Will you benefit most from direct placement, temporary placement, or contract to hire?
- What roles are you looking to fill? If you’re only hiring electrical staff, you might consider a specialized agency. If you’re hiring for a variety of roles, you may want to work with someone with more range.
- How comfortable are you in initial conversations with agency staff? You’re placing a lot of trust in an agency partner. If you don’t feel confident in their abilities and commitment to you, keep looking.